Bringing you the latest in the lighting industry
Promote your company on Lighting Insight: 07590 575 350 info@lightinginsight.com
Energy efficient lighting such as LED on the rise due to the rapid increase in energy prices

The total market for ‘street furniture’ covers a vast range of application sectors, which include local authorities, education & healthcare, rail & transport, residential developments, retail & commercial, restaurants, bars, sports & leisure and more.

Dominating the sector with 78% of the market is local authorities. However this has decreased slightly in recent years due to local authority budgets being continually under pressure.

It is estimated that there are between 500-600 companies that supply street furniture. Many of these companies specialise in only one or two products, whilst others supply the whole range.

As seen in almost every sector, Covid-19 also had a significant impact on street furniture and lighting sector in 2020. This impact was due to the temporary closing down of construction activity in the early stages of the pandemic, which led to the price of LED’s falling and the overall market value being affected.

Breaking the UK street lighting market up by value, in 2021 maintenance accounted for around 50-55% of the market and new projects/replacement equipment accounted for the remaining 45%.

Within the market report it also reveals that there are between 7-8 million streetlights on motorways. With Highways England controlling around 4% of road lights and the bulk remainder being controlled and financed by local government.

Editor of the Street Furniture and Lighting Market Report UK 2022-2026 and Head of Content at AMA Research, Abdul Tantouch shares his overview of the market:

“With energy costs for non-energy efficient lighting increasing rapidly, more local authorities have been adopting options such as LED systems. These typically offer 100,000 hours of light, compared with 15,000 for traditional bulbs such as sodium and it has been suggested that local authorities could cut their energy expenditure by around £100m per annum by switching to LED street lights. As well as being more energy efficient, these new products also have longer lifespans and therefore will require a lower long term spend on replacements and maintenance.”